1.01.2010

Bump in the road

A couple nights ago Adyson spiked a fever of 104. The doctor's ordered to swab her nose to check for viruses. The results came back that she has the flu. Also, her abdomen has gotten significantly bigger within the past few days. They changed her diuretics and gave her lasiks to see if that would help remove some of the fluid from her abdomen. They also ran labs and her coagulation factors came back very low. She hasn't gotten blood products in over a month and all of the sudden she gets 2. While all of this is going on I email Whittington. He tells me that her belly getting bigger is expected and that he feels sure that her having the flu is what made it acutely worse. BUT the fluid in her abdomen can become infected- called spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP)- and if not treated with anitbiotics SBP is lethal. When I received this email onto Google I went to research. I called USA to tell them what I had found out. Before I could even tell the nurse, she tells me that they had talked to 'Chicago' (which was Dr. Whittington) and he told them to do a parancenteis to remove the fluid and to test the fluid for SBP :) SO that's what they did today.

No comments: