11.04.2011

Dr. Lloyd Stephen Jones

October 18, 1932 - October 29, 2011


Mr. Jones was a veteran of the Vietnam War having served in the United States Air Force for twenty-three years. He was retired from the Jackson County School District, serving as the School Adminstrative Counselor, Drop-Out Prevention and ESL. Mr. Jones was founder of the Vancleave Baseball League in 1971. He was an active member of First Baptist Church Vancleave.


He was preceded in death by his parents Walter Columbus and Avey Elizabeth Carter Jones; sons, Charles Jones, Michael Jones, Roger Jones; brother Jesse Jones; and a sister, Billye Duckworth Glancy

Mr. Jones is survived by his wife of fifty-nine years, Wanda Jean Jones of Vancleave; children, Jim ( Karen ) House, of Augusta, Georgia ; Stephanie ( Larry ) Cobarrubia, of Vancleave; Jesse  "Sam" ( Janet ) Jones , of Vancleave ; Casey ( Bridget ) Jones of Jacksonville, Florida ; brothers, Walter C. ( Winnie ) Jones of Virginia Beach , Virginia; Charles Jones (Lynn) Carter of Mize; sisters, Mary E. ( Leroy ) Rogers of Vancleave ; Lou Thrash of Vancleave ; Shirley ( Bob ) Watson of Hillsboro, Texas; thirteen grandchildren, twenty- seven great grandchildren and numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives and many friends.

Papa served in the Air Force for 23 years, but his wish was to not have the full blown military service.
A video played throughout visitation of his life growing up and in the service.
My cousin sang Papa's favorite song Beulah Land and my Dad sang Knowing What I Know About Heaven. Dad singing was a surprise to my Nanny. It was hard to get up at Adyson's memorial and speak, but I can't imagine how hard it was for my Dad to sing at his Dad's funeral. With the strength of the Lord and lots of prayer from me and my mom (and others), he did it.
He did have the American flag on his beautiful casket. At the end of the service the color guard folded the flag (it was amazing). After it was folded one of the six handed it to my Nanny, who was sitting right in front of me. When he started to speak, "On behalf of the United States Air Force..."
We all lost it.

It was a beautiful service and we miss him so much!!

He was the rock of our family.
I am so thankful he taught us to love the Lord and thankful for his service in the Air Force.
And I am HONORED to be one of his 13 grand children. And I am HONORED my children are 3 of his 27 great grand children.

Please continue to pray for my family as we embark on life without him.

1 comment:

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man.


I found your blog through faces of loss.
On 11/18 my little one would have been nine. As a tribute to him and other babies who have passed away, I'm hosting a blogfest for mothers who have lost infants or children. I would love it if you could join us and share your story.
-Elisa

Here's that link if you're interested:
http://ecwrites.blogspot.com/2011/11/golden-sky-blogfest-is-in-less-than.html